Cold sores are also called as fever blisters. They are small blister like lesions presents inside of your mouth usually cause pain, burning sensation and itching while eating or before they burst.
Mostly they will appear on the lips, gums, cheeks inside mouth.
- Signs of cold sore
- What triggers the virus?
- Cold Sores Precautions
- Cold Sores Medical Treatments
This will caused by HSV (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS)
About HSV – HSV means herpes simplex virus
This HVS virus is of two types
- HSV-1(herpes simplex type 1),
- HSV-2(herpes simplex type 2).
- Many people get HSV-1 as a child. This type of virus can be spread by skin-to-skin contact with a grown-up who carries the virus.
- A child can affected to this HSV virus from an infected one through a kiss, eating from the same plate, or sharing towel.
- Sores caused due to HSV-1 are Oral herpes. Blisters appear on the lips or around the mouth, sometimes they form on face or on tongue and anywhere on skin they belong to this type.
- Normally a person gets HSV-2 by sexual contact. Around 20% of sexually active adults carry HSV-2.Some people get this by having many sex partners, having sex for first time and having a weak immune system.
- Sores caused due to HSV-2 are Genital herpes. Blisters formed on the penis, vagina, and buttocks and on anus. There is a possibility that these may appear inside of the vagina of the women’s.
Must Read: Benefits of Deep Breathing 2015
Signs of cold sore
- Early stage (1-2 days):-In Early stage you will sense itching and burning sensation it may last up to few hours or a whole day. Then that area turns into red and swollen because of the inflammatory reaction to the infection.
- Fighting stage (2-4 days):-Firstly it starts with one and then a cluster of blisters will grow as your body tries to fight the infection with the help of white blood cells at this time your cold sores blister fills with a fluid of millions of HSV’s.
- Bursting stage (4-5 days):-At this stage your pain may be high; the blisters will burst and an open sore will develop at this time you may see a red ring of inflammation in that region.
- Scabbing stage (5-7 days):-During this stage a light-brown crust appears and the cold sores is about to dries out and forming a scab. At this time you will feel extremely high itching and burning sensation.
- Healing stage (7-10 days):-Lastly at the end your cold sores will start healing completely and your scab will starts to come off. After that you may find your skin will remains red or light pink.
What triggers the virus?
Once a person infected to this virus, it will never leaves the body after the first outbreak, it will moves from the skin cells to nerve cells and there It will stays forever in asleep. But sometimes it will be triggered by the following reasons.
- Sun exposure (UV light).
- Menstrual periods.
Cold Sores Precautions
Things to avoid that spreading the virus:-
Oral herpes (HSV-1):-
- Kissing anyone.
- Having oral sex.
- Sharing items such as lip balms, towels and cups.
- After touching a cold sore wash your hands thoroughly.
- When applying medicine use cotton.
Genital herpes (HSV-2):-
- If you have sore or signs of it avoid sex using condom will lower the risk but there is a chance of occurring
- Pregnancy women should consult doctor ask some primitive measures and use those medicines as per directions to prevent passing the virus to your baby.
Cold Sores Medical Treatments
- Apply medicine that you can buy without a prescription, such as benzocaine and L-lysine to them.
- Try to place ice on the blisters.
- Be cautious about the things that trigger another outbreak
Incoming Search Terms
Dermatologists diagnose herpes simplex by looking at the sores and may take swab then send it to laboratory. If cold sores are not present they will proceed to next step like blood tests and other tests to find herpes simplex value.